Saturday, December 23, 2006

News From The Otter Limits



As promised in my offer "Unite for Victory", here is the first of hopefully many positive stories on progressives who considered the offer and support VICTORY.
This (below) is new from "The Otter Limits".
First, I must give "otter" a lot of credit for having the marbles to do what he thinks is right in spite of the consequences.
Going against those that normally agree with you isn't easy. (kevlar underwear required)
About Otter...
In doing some light research, I learned that he recently moved across the country to Oklahoma from Seattle but was originally born in Denver CO. in 1972.
(Red Stater moved to Denver Colorado from Oklahoma in 1974-2004, before returning to Oklahoma)
Otter is passionate about his music, plays in a band called "Otisburg" and is working on releasing an album(cd) "Born Yesterday" hopefully very soon. I wish him much success.
He frequently writes for other blogs including Otters War Journal and Concerned Citizens of Today among others.

Otter and I don't agree on very much, but today we stand together as Americans for Victory.
Please join me in "saluting" Otter for his courage and honesty.
-red
Here is his piece on Victory in Iraq.

A lot of this is going to be a reprint of my previous blog on the subject (view at
War In Iraq Part 1) and some of it will be an update on my two cents worth.

"Personally, I don't agree with us being in Iraq. In some ways, I am a bit of an isolationist when it comes to foreign affairs. I think we have enough problems here at home that need to be dealt with before we try exerting our authority elsewhere. I really think that the health care situation over here, for instance, is much more important than sending our troops to fight someone else's war. However, I know there are times when our national security comes into play and we have to do our part to defend our interests. Personally, I don't really think that Iraq was a threat to our national security but that’s just me.In any case, I don't think we should have gone over there. Now don't get me wrong, I support our troops. They are risking their lives over there and I fully support their efforts so I'm not unpatriotic in that sense.So bottom line, we should have never gone over there, in my opinion.That being said, we are over there and now it is time to shift our attention elsewhere. Yes, we should not have been over there in the first place. But there is no better time than now to quit all the squabbling about it. We're over there, deal with it."


Now, all that being said, we are over there and I have begun to feel like we need to stay over there until our job is finished. That's right! I said we need to stay there. Call it the patriot in me but we need to kick some butt over there and show those people who they are messing with. They aren't messing with some third-rate country or some militant insurgent group trying to take over their country. We are the freaking United States of America! And we need to show them that we mean business!
Do we need to escalate and send more troops? Maybe. Do we need to re-think our strategy and come up with some different tactics? Absolutely! Do we need to further escalate and re-institute the draft? Well, I don't think I would take it that far.
And here is my reasoning for that. I think a person, be it a man or woman, should WANT to serve their country, NOT be forced to. If they don't agree with the war and don't want to be a part of it. By all means, don't force them to do it. Those are the type of rights we are fighting for over there in the first place. Besides, if we get some war-hating anti-troop draftee over there, who know what'll happen. Someone could get needlessly killed for lack of interest or out of just plain spite).
So, to make this plain and simple. My confusion over the issue is no more. We need to stay over there and fight until we have achieved our desired results.

That is all.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Otter Limits said...

Hey Red, if you are interested you can check out my blog on matters of the spirit as well sometime. It's http://newparable.blogspot.com

7:38 AM  
Blogger RD said...

Thanks man,... will do.
BTW- i hope i got your info right (without giving away too much).
please let me know if i need to add or change anything at all.

Merry Christmas to you and your entire family.
-red

10:10 AM  
Blogger Otter Limits said...

Yes, it looks like all the info you gave is correct.

However, I do have to admit something that you may have assumed based on some of my posts. I am actually NOT a Democrat. I admit I was at one time (during the Clinton era) but since than I am actually a registered Independent.

I try to make it my goal to go with my gut and not play the party-card with my decisions.

In fact, if you refer back to a post I did on http://otterlimits.blogspot.com/2006_10_01_archive.html, you will notice that according to those goofy online tests I took, I actually fall into a more conservative area than I do a liberal area.

5:52 PM  
Blogger RD said...

Yeah... after much further review, you are officially pronounced "part of the vast rightwing conspiracy".

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home