Monday, October 29, 2007

A Song For You Oklahoma

Dave over at Oklahoma Lefty got me thinking as he often does...this time about music, so Dave, this one goes out to you.

Oklahoma has a long and rich history of music to be proud of and celebrate during our centennial. Here is my little tribute to what I consider to be the best of Oklahoma based music.

Woody Guthrie's "Oklahoma Hills"...is the official Oklahoma state folk song performed here by Johnny Cash and Arlo Guthrie.


Oklahoma born songwriters Mae Axton and son Hoyt Axton gave us "Heartbreak Hotel"


and "The Pusher" from Steppin' Wolf among other big hits for other bands from Three Dog Night to Ringo Starr to a McDonalds jingle.



Finally my personal favorite, Leon Russell's "A Song For You" performed by Leon, Willy Nelson and Ray Charles.

Happy Birthday Oklahoma!

Yes, I know I left out JJ Cale, Elvin Bishop, Gary P Nunn and The Flaming Lips.
Also, Perhaps I'll do country music another time... sorry Reba, Garth and Carie Underwood fans.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger RD said...

I chose Woody Guthrie's Oklahoma Hills for it's historical value and it's a very catchy tune to say the least.

Elvis the Pelvis used the Mae Axton song to propel himself to stardom... I chose Hoyt's "The Pusher" because I was a senior in HS when that song was released... a friend of mine actually played it over the PA at our HS baseball game during warmups...fortunately none of the parents understood the words.lol

Leon Russell is one of my alltime favorite Rockers... have seen him in concert numerous times. His "A song for You" when done by Ray Charles is amazing.

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home